Monday, September 25, 2006

internet history etc...

My grandfather graduated from MIT with a bachelor's and master's in engineering in 1959, so the whole time we watched the film in class I was wondering if he had worked with any of those grad student/internet pioneers. of course he hadn't since most of that happened after his time, but he did get to use some of the equipment. I don't understand why it took so long for the government to relinquish control of the internet, but I remember how quickly everything changed after 1994. In fourth grade I was typing papers on my mom's word processor, but by sixth grade I was addicted to instant messager. on a side-note I really liked Ken Perlin's pad program, and I'd rather play with that than windows.

The garden of forking paths reminded me of two things: choose your own adventure books, and the short stories of Kelly Link. The choose your own adventure connection is obvious, but why aren't those popular anymore? I used to have a ton. Borges' writing reminds me of Kelly Link mainy because of the style, the way it seems to start in the middle, as a story within a story wherein the first story never finishes. Kelly Link doesn't introduce the reader to ideas of infinite simultaneous paths of labyrinths, her stories just give you a glimpse of something, like you're looking through a window at it.

No comments: