Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Responses to Articles

Cyberface:
This technology reminds me of that Al Pacino movie, "Simone" that came out a few years ago about a virtual actress who programmed and controlled by her director. The Cyberface technology looks a lot like Ken Perlin's face program, though more sophisticated. Is it possible for a computer-animated mask to have a person's "soul?"

E-books:
I have never liked the idea of e-books, or the idea of paying for files or media that can only be viewed on a computer, but this sony e-vention has potential. They need to fix that backlighting thing, but if I could keep all my books in one device and still read them like normal books, life would be amazing.

Musical robot:
Will this change the way musicians play? Will they try to imitate these machines after they're done imitating us? While this could be a useful tool for musicians practicing at home, I would expect music played by a machine would lack the...life that music we play ourselves has.

Virtual Reporter:
I think everyone knows how I feel about all these virtual worlds, and businesses that endorse them and make it seem okay to live their instead of here with the rest of us. I thought it was really interesting though, how Reuter's wouldn't set up in WOW because the players were "too uncivilized."

1 comment:

Cynthia Allen said...

Adele,

I read all your comments on the articles. I appreciate your thoughts. I use these types of articles to get students to think about what is "coming down the pike" in New Media--both positive and negative. Thus, your reflections mean a great deal to me.

Cynthia